If I average 30 jumps an hour for the rest of the way back to the Bubble, I reckon it's going to take me another 15 hours of flight time to make it back to cash in my explorer data. Oh my... Originally shared by Iain McC Today's exploration statistics (to accompany the pretty pictures): Hours flown: 12 Nebulae visited: 2 (IOWHAIL & FROARKS) Systems surveyed: 200-ish? Distance from Great Annihilator: 8.4kly Distance from Sag A*: 11.2kly Distance from Colonia: 10.6kly Distance from Shinrarta Dezhra: 14.7kly Minimum number of jumps back to the Bubble: 455 Heat sinks deployed: 1 (after being dumped out of hyperspace into the canyon between an A-type and an F-type binary pair) Notable bodies surveyed: 25 Neutron stars (15 first discoveries) 18 Costners (17 first discoveries) 7 Black holes (1 first discovery) 6 O-type supergiants (2 first discoveries) 6 Gas Giants with Water-Based Life (6 first discoveries) 1 Earth-Like World (1 first discovery) 1 MS-type star (1 first discovery)...
How much hull did finding out those two facts cost you? :-S
ReplyDeleteNone actually.
ReplyDeleteNice - I would have expected getting that close would have cost you some heat damage.
ReplyDeleteI started going towards 70 when the drop came, but then cooled off.
ReplyDeleteI could sit right at the Exclusion Zone and take shots at a comfortable 55%.
Jumping into supercruise at 780km brings the Cobra to 80%, but also cools off quite quickly after.
Edit: I, of course, cannot speak about how other ships may fare. I know the Cobra handled temperate really well, so other ships may have more trouble.
I think I should switch all non essential modules off before approaching it. Thanks for the info! Glad your hull is none the worse!
ReplyDeleteI'm right there but have not been able to log back in to make the 6ly jump to the Great Annihilator. :-(
ReplyDeleteMax Acceleration Yeah, really sucks.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm sitting there. If you like we can meet up when I come home tomorrow evening to take a few shots.
By then things should be a better, I guess.
Dennis Wronka sounds good. Maybe I'll be able to jump into the system tonight, check it out and log off there for our photo OP tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteMax Acceleration Sure. I'm still pretty close. I think around 800km now. I'm at a distance I can jump into supercruise safely. That's important for tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteFly safe!
Dennis Wronka thanks! See you tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI'm there now. Got within 3mm.
ReplyDeleteI ventured within 2.4mm of it with no consequence. Did the same for Great Annihilator B. Didn't want to risk damage this close to Sag A and our goal! It was creepy and cool at the same time when you got close and then turned away and it looked like you were inside the edge of the black hole's influence.
ReplyDelete